I love to spend money on clothes. However, being in college with limited funds and absolutely no decent clothing stores in the area, shopping sprees are limited (except for the ones that include filling up my online shopping cart then closing the tab). As much as I love to get cute, trendy outfits to go out in, I also need to buy clothes that are casual for class. Sometimes finding that balance is a struggle.
Having a comfy and cute outfit to wear is a must. Being comfy is my No. 1 priority — that also goes for when I go out on the weekends. Comfort and cuteness are my two besties when deciding what to wear. I’m the type of girl that hates wearing super tight clothes, crop tops or anything that screams “uncomfortable.”
Yes, you can wear a T-shirt and jeans out– I promise you that this can work. All you need are a few additional clothing items, some accessories, and you are good to go.
1. First, consider the jeans. Dark wash skinny jeans are what I love to wear. They also look better with an outfit to wear out on the weekends. I’m a fan of ripped jeans, but not too many rips. Right now, the single rip in the middle of the knee is trendy and has a more pulled together look.
2. Since it is chilly most of the time in Western New York, layer a T-shirt with a cute leather jacket. Leather jackets are awesome. They are super stylish, and you can wear them to class or out on the weekends. Since I am an animal lover, I tend to stay away from leather. However, there are tons of vegan leather jackets out there!
3. A neutral-colored cross body bag (or purse). Again, leather is timeless, and leather bags are absolutely adorable. Right now, I switch back and forth between a plain black leather bag from Fossil, and a purple one with the tassle I bought at a boutique. Crossbody bags stay on you the whole night and serves its convenient purpose to store lipsticks and keys.
4. If you are wearing a V-neck T-shirt, a bandeau can give it even more of a layered look (and also make it look like you tried a little harder). I have at least 6 or 7 different colors and styles of bandeaus. Lace ones are my favorite, and I’m especially loving the high-neck ones.
5. Wedges! Putting on a killer pair of wedges or heels can make any outfit go from zero to 100 real quick. Although, since I am super picky about being comfortable, the wedges need to be completely walkable. Nobody needs blisters. When I was in England over the summer, tons of people were wearing the platform wedged heels. I bought a pair and have been obsessed with them ever since. They’re different, and so easy to walk in. They also make your legs look like you should be walking on a runway.
6. Accessories are a necessity. I am a necklace and earrings kind of girl. A colorful statement necklace is my go-to. Stones, metals and intricate designs have the ability to make an outfit look like a million bucks.
7. Lastly, all you need to do is put on a bit more makeup and do something with your hair. I like to do the classic smoky eye (If I’m feeling it, then fake lashes can be fun), a bold lip and the half up half down with my hair. I love this hairstyle because it looks good even with my frizzy, curly hair. But the best thing about it is that it looks so good with straight hair too!
When you know you are good to go…
After dressing up the T-shirt and jeans with the few additions, your outfit goes from lecture blah to becoming picture-ready for the weekend. Feeling comfortable and cute gives you that confidence boost you need to have fun, and the peace of mind that you are saving money.
Of course it is always fun to put on a dressier or sexier outfit to go out in. This is just a suggestion that this is totally possible for those who do not want to spend extra money or need something last-minute.
And lastly, who cares what you wear? You do you.